Join 2013 FIRST Robotics Competition world champion and math, computer science and robotics teacher Shawn Lim, OCT for this special half-day professional development workshop for teachers.
Mr. Lim is a former robotics teacher at Crescent School, winners of the 2013 FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) World Championships. He was a founding member of FRC team 188, the very first Canadian high-school competitive FRC robotics team, and attended university at General Motors Institute on the first-ever robotics scholarship awarded to a Canadian student. For 8 years he served on the Board of Directors of FIRST Robotics Canada, and was appointed Director of District Implementation. Most recently, he taught at St. Clement’s School, delivering robotics and computer science programming specifically for girls. He began his teaching career in the TDSB at Runnymede CI, and has been an active participant, mentor and leader in the educational robotics community for over 22 years.
This workshop will cover the topics below, and is suitable for teachers at ALL instructional levels (P/J/I/S):
- Curriculum Integration Opportunities with Robotics and Coding
- Math: Numeracy, Variables, Algebra
- Science: Simple Machines, Form and Function, Systems in Action
- Robotics and Coding Classroom Best Practices
- Robotics Coding Environment Progression: Graphical, Scratch, RobotC, Java (AP Computer Science)
- Hands-On Interactive Activity: RoboSoccer – Beginning to End, Behind the Scenes
- Q&A Session
Workshops take place from 1:00PM to 3:00PM. The Q&A Session is optional, and is from 3:00PM to 3:30PM.
*A valid OCT number is required to register. The cost of this workshop is 100% funded by FIRST Robotics Canada in partnership with the Government of Canada’s CanCode program.